Friday, May 30, 2008

An introduction

An introduction!

Hello fellow quilters,

I assume if you're here, it's because you've found LTQ & C online, so thanks for visiting my website! I thought my first blog should be an introduction of myself. Much of the store's news will be on the main site, so this will be a blog for me, as one compulsive quilter to others who may be more or less so. I was trying to decide how to open my blog the past couple weekends while I was reorganizing my studio, and as I folded all my fabric, I thought, quilters meet each other while quilting, or show 'n' telling, so it seemed the best way to introduce myself (and for you to see how much I LOVE fabric and thread) was to take some pictures of my studio, etc...

Those are my two wonderful Janomes. Why two, you say? Why not! One is an embroidery and sewing machine, but I also like to bounce from project to project.

I took over the living room of the house my fiance and I moved into when I came home to Montana after buying LTQ&C in August of 2007. It was big, it had windows, we have no furniture except the glorified scratching post in the picture (aka--the couch). He doesn't care, so I thought, why not?

My stash. Piled on top of my cutting table and ironing board. I did put it away, but I couldn't resist having a picture of my beauties all neatly folded and delicious looking.

My fiance keeps his keyboard (we don't have room for a piano yet...wonder who's taking up all the space?) in there for the view of the Crazy mountains and to play while I sew :)

I have a few other fixtures that make my studio my favorite room in the house, although they are sometimes a pain.

Medea is one of our kitties and she loves my sewing chair. I hop up to iron or cut, and there she is.

She also enjoys sitting in my lap while I sew, scratching me every time I use my knee lift and move her slightly. As you can guess. I like it much less when she sits in my lap while I sew.

And the other cat...

Possum, our other cat, getting "scoops" from Erik, my fiance (July 5th is the big day). Possum lives to be Possum, nothing more, nothing less. He does enjoy lying on brand new fabric and doing his best to molt.

Who knew that one cat could shed an entire cat every single day, but only when freshly vacuumed carpet, or new fabric or batting is exposed. Even the occasional quilted quilt prompts him to lose three or four pounds of fur.

I guess if I was a cat, I'd probably lay on fabric too, since I couldn't sew with it. Darn paws.

Possum ignores us most of the time, but if we say, "You want scoops?" in a very high pitched voice, he immediately turns around an meows until you flip him on his back and scratch his tummy.

Does that look like a happy cat or what?

Possum is like the Buddha of cats.

The formatting of this blog software is crappy, so I have to put in extra text to keep my pictures from overlapping the text. So I apologize for the rambling, just trying to fill space sometimes.

The fiance is pretty cute too, huh?

And the final piece of my studio is my "guard dog", Siri, who is no more a guard dog, than I am a house cat. She's a big pansy. Siri was my shop dog for a while, but at 95lbs (her ideal weight) and 11 years old, jumping in and out of the car was hard on her hips. She misses cleaning up spilled candy and following around susceptible quilters and just putting her head right below their hand for some unconscious scratching. She likes to sleep on the cat bed in my sewing room. As you can see, it's slightly ridiculous looking.

Siri spends much of her life in such dignified positions. Nothing like a 100lb dog on a 2lb cat bed.

Can you tell she's be gnawing on rawhide all morning? She occasionally 'smuggles' treasure in from outside. It's usually some small part of a dead animal, but she tucks in way back in her mouth so we can't see it, then gallops in the house and spits it out on the rug to inspect. Charming, really.

So, until next time, hopefully that shot will give you a laugh. Thanks for reading! I'll be updating on Mondays and Fridays at least--coming up next, maybe my thread collection! But more likely my retreat projects as I've got LTQ&C's spring quilt retreat this weekend!

Happy quilting!

No comments: