Friday, September 11, 2009

The crappiest blogger.

Well, I won't pretend I have a good excuse for not blogging on Tuesday, because I just forgot due to Labor Day "what-day-of-the-week-is-it?" confusion. Husband and I are still running up to Bozeman on Tuesdays to enjoy the last few blissful days of warm enough to play soccer weather and then I had a meeting on Wednesday night that was longer than I'd planned. All in all, I just had one of those weeks where I didn't get anything done in the evenings.
I've also been on a binding tear--yes, yes, screech in confusion, gasp with disbelief, I know I do. With the help of my wonderful staff, I've been making a couple "magical binding trees"--which are actually just empty fabric bolts which we wrap the binding for my quilts around. This is helpful for two reasons: the first is that having them piece and iron my binding means that I can spend more time quilting and piecing in the evenings to keep my shop bedecked in lovely quilts and I can continue doing the work thing at work and it makes a great thing for them to do while it's slow. The second reason is that piped binding (sew all by machine) which I like to put on my quilts, never seems to happen for me if it isn't made prior to quilt finishing. The piecing and ironing is a very minor step as you have to put in the piping and then attach the piping to main binding. So, with my magic binding tree in hand, I've been working to create the piped binding so that it's rarin' and ready to go when the quilt is quilted.
I'm finding that if the binding is ready to go, I'm not only WAY more likely to finish my top, but I also don't hate it, which is a big step for me.
Anyway, someday I'll get back to pictures, lessons, etc...but right now I'm in all sorts of frenzies. We've had soooo much new fabric coming in it seems like I can't even keep up putting it online. The binding is also a frenzy. Then there is the "I-only-have-free-use-of-my-longarm-for-a-little-while" frenzy. That one is probably more along the "panic" lines as I so desperately want to be caught up and free of an endless stream of unfinished tops. The goal is noble, though not to be achieved, if I could even put a good healthy dent in my numbers, that would greatly improve my stress level.
Happy quilting!

No comments: