Friday, June 19, 2009

A brief hiatus.

I will not be adding anything to the beginning quilting series today primarily because I haven't been doing any quilting, not really because I don't want to, but because doing my cutting lesson was about all I could manage courtesy of what felt like a car wreck, but was really just a soccer injury.
Erik and I joined an adult rec league soccer team over in Bozeman, and it's nothing serious, just a bunch of grownups who love chasing a ball around and most of the people are very nice and play nice. I've never played soccer prior to this, so it's been a real learning experience.
Well, last Tuesday (we have two games a week), we were tied up, I'd been playing pretty well (the bar is pretty low) but I'd conquered one of my major issues, which is flinching when a serious dude comes running at the ball that I'm running at. So at the very end of the game I went tearing after a ball I'd stolen and I saw a guy coming, but I had about a foot in height, even though he was more athletic, so I figured I would win in an outright collision. And I would've. Moments later however, I found myself confused in agony on the ground. I practically heard my left quad rip after I'd been struck, rolled a couple times, and had him land on me. All I could think about was my leg and how baffled I was that he packed such a running wallop. The physics did not make sense. A penalty was called and I dazedly wandered off the field.
Then I found out, we did not run into each other (I was watching the ball the whole time, I only saw him running toward it when we were still about 30 feet from it). He had jump tackled me like a minor league hockey enforcer.
I was (and am) very angry not just because my quad hurt right then, but because of the ridiculousness of tackling a girl in REC league soccer with a minute left in the game. The next day I was (and am) livid because my left foot and ankle were and are extremely sore and possibly sprained and my shoulder has a ligament that if not already torn, is on the verge of being torn (I'm waiting to shell out the big bucks for an MRI). The doctor said to give it one more week and see how it feels. So I'll know by next week if it's surgery worthy or just really painful, but until then, I'm pretty gimpy when it comes to doing anything with my left arm. Cutting has proved more agony than it's worth. I got through my cutting lesson, but I tried and failed to cut the rest of the fabric.
So apologies, but blame that little battering ram who mistook me for a door. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be feeling better, but right now I feel like road kill, and this is after over a week. Luckily I wouldn't have been able to sew this weekend anyway because I'm off to Missoula to spend Father's Day with my dad and stepmom.
Happy quilting (and healing for me)!

No comments: