Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More alpaca drama.

But we're almost finished with alpaca-trouble. I have all my stuff planned for the next lesson in beginning quilting, but I spent the morning putting up fencing for the alpacas, and must hurry home to continue weed-whacking (it's an electric fence, it's more about keeping coyotes, wolves, and dogs out than alpacas in) to keep it from grounding out. Originally the plan was to fence this weekend, but then the shed we got for them which was supposed to come Friday had a miscommunication and couldn't come until Monday. Which ended up being fine because weed-whacking, pounding posts and stringing electric fence are less than appealing in 35 degree weather with rain and wind! So, anyway, today stuff started to dry out so there was no time to waste, husband and I have been busy little alpaca farmers.
So, I apologize. Once we get the fence finished, they really will be cute little low-maintenance lawn-mowers...Just getting the fence finished has proved to be problematic courtesy of many factors, but Montana weather is really the biggest bee in my bonnet right now.
I've at least picked a pattern for my class--Cappuccino by Possibilities. It'll be interesting for a beginner because of the layers of borders around the blocks where accuracy can really hit you in your soft parts, but it is also a pattern that will look okay if the blocks end up wonky and not 'lined-up' in the traditional sense of the word. So Friday I'll be posting photos and talking about fabric selection and then the cutting and sewing and quilting can commence!
Until then happy quilting and fencing!

2 comments:

lisa said...

I am not quite a beginner but I am self taught so I am joining you here. I have my pattern picked out. It's a Double Four Patch that I found while searchign for somethign else!

I also told my brothers girlfriend to follow along with you, she's going to be makign her first quilt this summer with my mom!

Lily said...

Glad you and your brother's girlfriend will (hopefully) find this to be useful. There are just so many little tricks and tips that make quilting easier and faster. Have fun!