Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bobbin quilting

Well, when I was up at retreat, I was pondering how to quilt a table runner that I used some of Valeri Wells large funky prints in and on the back when it occurred to me that using the large flower motifs as a quilting pattern was an excellent idea. Then it occurred to me that it would also make using fun, sparkly bobbin thread super easy as I would be working from the back anyway.
So the image above is the back of the table runner but what I was looking at while I quilted. I used silvery gray Brytes, #1149 Silver Dollar. I used a #100/16 Schmetz topstitch needle and Dream Green batting (100% recycled plastic bottles and its awesome to quilt with). The only adjustment I made was my top tension which I cranked up to 8.8 on my machine (tension strengths vary by machine), a Janome 10,000. I did it all free motion with my Quilt halo and Supreme Slider. In my bobbin I used Superior Threads Halo--a sparkly decorative thread made for bobbin work, couching, and serging. I used #755 Bluebell. If you haven't done bobbin work before, Halo is great way to start because you don't have to tinker with your bobbin tension, you just tighten up your top.
I really like how it turned out. Unfortunately the sparkliness doesn't show in the photograph.
Here's another flower:
Happy quilting!

No comments: