Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Machine quilting...

Hello, quilters! I haven't felt like doing a bit of piecing, but I've had quite a hankering to machine quilt. This was quite a conundrum as I mostly have large (queen or bigger) tops done and it's hard to motivate yourself to do that on your home machine when you own an APQS Millenium and George at work. So, I decided that I would finish a quilt I've been working on for my adorable nephew, Max, who will be two in April. His dad is a colonel in the army and gets shipped out in February, so I made him this quilt thinking that the camo and the wildlife (his dad is also an avid hunter) would give him something cuddly to hold when he missed his dad.
I had to put tiger minkee on the back so he could have some sort of "pelt", but also just because minkee is so snuggly. The quilting is fairly, um, shall we say, special? The batting was a bagged batting and it never relaxed properly so there are lumps and humps, but I figure it will get dragged around and loved. At least I hope so.
The other thing I worked on this weekend was a quick bias quilt inspired by something in that book that came out years ago: Quick Quilts with Quick Bias or something. The pattern in the book required tracing and quilt as you go, etc... and I'm just not much of a tracer or a quilt as you go type person, so I improvised. I am almost done quilting it, but my poor little machine really really really really needs a good cleaning and this morning it kachunked enough to say that I could quilt no more until I cleaned the gunk out of its innards. So, once that's done, I can finish quilting this. I think my feathers are coming right along, getting less mutated by the day.
I'll be on a plane on Friday so I probably won't blog, but you never know. My mom's excellent salesmanship won her an all-expense-paid trip to Cancun for two and she's taking me along. Hooray! We get put up in a pretty classy place, so I'm excited for that and some sunshine, Chichen Itza, dolphins and relaxation for five daysi even our food is included so I'll likely be 20lbs heavier when I return. I will have my computer, so hopefully you'll get some ruin pictures, maybe a dolphin if I'm lucky.
Until then, happy quilting!

2 comments:

WishingKristen said...

You are going to Mexico?

Anonymous said...

you are going to mexico?