Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Machine quilting...

I had a machine quilting class last night that was quite fun. To prepare for class, I made a "Waffle Time" table runner because the center is nice and open for quilting.
Instead of just quilting it, I did some "faux" bobbin quilting, using Ricky Tims' Razzle Dazzle. I used the color "Gold Crown" though I kind of wish I'd done Ruby Slippers now, oh well, what can you do? And don't say the dirty R-word, because I don't do that unless my life or livelihood depends on it.
You can see the gold stitching above. I only did this on the top because then I could draw the design on a stabilizer, I prefer Rinsaway (which I have in the shop), also known as Ricky Tims' Stable Stuff. It's mostly water soluble, so you don't have to tear it away. It turns into a spider web of polyester inside your quilt once it gets washed. It's super easy to trace on and works great for bobbinwork (since you're upside down anyway) and also for marking. Ricky Tims' (Ricky is my go-to source for all things quilting) Grand Finale DVD is the best resource on the market for bobbinwork, machine quilting, binding entirely by machine, marking, machine trapunto, etc...I love Ricky, he's my quilting hero. He also teaches you how to mark your quilt using water soluble thread, which is also, incidentally, an excellent way to practice your design. I also did this on my table topper...below is a picture of some of the water soluble stitching, and the back of the top, where I had my Rinsaway with the design drawn on it (you can also print on rinsaway).
Watersoluble stitching on the front of the quilt, that I can now follow with my actual quilting thread, now that I'm all practiced up. And then, what the back of the top, not the back of the quilt, looks like:
There you can see more of the overall design. A note about watersoluble thread: if it's on the top, it better be on the bottom. You never want to mix it with other thread because when you get it wet, half your stitch dissolves, and voila, your stitching is no longer stitching, it's just a piece of thread floating and being sad :(
So, that was fun and I'll definitely post pictures once I finish it up.
Happy quilting (and now happy marking!)!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You are very talented, I like your work. I am just starting to get into sewing.