Friday, May 15, 2009

Quilting lessons

OOOoooooOOOO, I don't have my camera so I can't put up pictures of my accomplishments during my lessons, but I feel much improved and full of inspiration and new ideas, new tricks, and my credit card statement will be full of the costs of new gadgets!
Karen Parker was who taught me, she runs her own custom quilting service called Sew Specialties, and she is a blast to work with. I not only learned a ton, but I had a great time, and got to wear a cat while quilting! Karen really really knows her stuff, and she and I are both hoping to create some sort of long-arm support/education group for sharing ideas, etc...So, if you're interested, please email me at lilykw@gmail.com and I'll start the organizational process...She's also very open to giving more lessons, and she is a bottomless pit of information, so it was very worthwhile and affordable.
Tuesday I'll remember my camera and post pictures...I only got one quilt quilted (and that was primarily to practice my stitch-in-the-ditch skills--for those of you who don't long-arm, it's harder than you'd think) but then we practiced lots of fun fancy stuff on a sheet.
I've felt for a long time now that I wanted to venture into the custom world, but I needed a little push and a little help, and Karen was definitely that so this summer I'm going to be a custom quiltin' fool. I have tons of tops to work on (as you've seen) and I'm trying to push through my queue while I wait for my new toys, gadgets, accessories, marking tools, etc... to arrive.
My goal is to have at least one quilt in a show by this fall. Which may require piecing something new, and trying for that a-word (accuracy) instead of my favorite, the s word (speed). SO, I'll keep you posted on that and post pics on Tuesday!
And finally, before I bid you fare weekend, I want to send out a big public "Thank you!" to Karen for taking me under her creative wing. I'm eternally grateful!

Happy quilting!

No comments: