Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lone star

Imagine that I did a lone star quilt out of Jelly Roll Quilts, and tomorrow I will show proof! My camera is quite dead, if I get a minute I might run home and get my charger, but otherwise, I will post pictures tomorrow. I used Moda's Neptune for it and counter to traditon used a dark background, but you will just have to wait and see! I learned several valuable lessons--most important of which is that even if you read the directions eight times, you can still cut wrong! And I did. The first go round I cut all my background pieces wrong. The second valuable lesson is that when working with small bias diamonds, close enough is not as close as one might hope. I wish that I had taken the time to "square up" the diamonds once they were pieced before putting them into the star.
The one lesson that I learned that proved beneficial, and I really knew from other quilts is that Best-Pressing the crap out of your fabric before you cut it on the bias makes a HUGE difference in accuracy. Cardboard doesn't stretch, and that's about how stiff I made my fabric. I actually used an entire 16 oz bottle of Carribean Beach on this quilt.
All in all though, I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of this quilt, and the nice pattern for a jelly roll.
So, come back tomorrow for pictures.
Until then, happy quilting!

No comments: