Monday, May 11, 2009

Why finish the old when you can start something new?

Since I'll be a long-arm learning fool tomorrow, I thought I'd post today. I'm about to squib right out of my skin I'm so excited for my lessons this week, but all the getting ready to finish so many projects inspired me to start a bunch of new stuff this weekend :). Makes perfect sense, huh?

I've been in the mood to use up fat quarters, and one of my collections of fat quarters that I've hoarded over the years is an extensive pile of fruit and vegetables, my personal obsession amongst novelty fabrics. I only like realistic food though. So, I was in a cutting mood, so I cut all my fruits and veggies to make a quilt called "Gypsy Girl" from Anka's Treasures' Fat Quarter Five. It felt about as close to cooking as I ever get :)

Next I sorted and cut to make a quilt out of Strip Therapy 2: Bali Pop Obsession. I had to use Sherbet for something, so I picked my favorite pattern, "Vertigo" and got organized. No sewing, just more cutting and picking out pairs of strips. I am not going to allow myself to start sewing on any of these until I get at least two quilts quilted and bound (okay, maybe just quilted ;).

I cut out pattern pieces for my High Street Messenger Bag, by Amy Butler. And finally, I'm plotting to make the cover quilt from Charmed a book I just got in. I found a great line (who knows why I didn't order it) from Moda called Swanky, by Chez Moi, over in Livingston at Back Porch Quilts. Well, naturally, I picked up the charms and a little yardage, and had fabric remorse when I got home (this was last weekend). I stifled it. But then... Then this:
Now I know those of you who know me may be thinking, "Seriously?" but this cover quilt, when combined with the funky pinks, lime greens, yellows, and corals of Swanky, is going to be a fantastically Lily quilt. Throw on some machine applique instead of needle-turn, and you got yourself one wild charm quilt. So, I called Livingston this afternoon to clean them out of Swanky and asked Dear Husband to pick them up after work :). I don't know about the scalloped borders, but the rest I do know about and can hardly wait.
Then of course, I got an invoice today informing me that this book will be here, possibly even tomorrow: French Braid Obsession:
I mean, honestly, when do these book authors expect me to sleep? Someone needs to come up with a time-stasher. If we could all save up time, like when we drove somewhere, it would just pile up in a cupboard somewhere and when we got home we could pull out a big ol' chunk of time, wouldn't that be great?
Anyway, just thought I'd share my plight, and give you a little glimmer of the show and tell to come! Hopefully I'll have some fun quilting tips to share on Friday, wish me luck and hope that I don't scare my poor teacher to death when I show up with 15 quilts! That's right, I culled down my collection that I'm taking from 23 to 15. I just want to be prepared for anything :)
Happy quilting!

No comments: