Monday, June 30, 2008

Tick tock tick tock...

Well dear quilters, I actually did some quasi-quilting this weekend. Is that gasps I hear? Yes, well, it's no wonder. I hardly remembered what I was doing. Mostly I spent the weekend trying to figure out our programs, breaking out in a horrible rash all over my arms and chest, panicking about said rash, and trying to get my house in order. I also tried and failed to sleep much. But enough of rashes and rubbish, onto the quilting!
It occurred to me, and has in the past that some things we quilter's take knowing for granted. I for example, have been shocked to find how many quilters don't know how to use a rotary cutter, ruler, mat combination properly. They use it, but usually in inventive ways. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a chance for me, as an educator, to make their lives better.
As I was working on a project involving steam-a-seam2, my favorite brand of fusible web, it occurred to me that many quilters may never have used this wonderful substance. So here is a brief rundown of the first stage, which I will follow up on Friday (hahha, unless I go off the deep end). (Fusible webs are used primarily for raw edge applique).
SAS2 (as I will now abbreviate) is great because it has paper on both side, and both sides have a little stick before you fuse (aka iron) them down, making placement easier.
The first step is to trace your pieces...if it's a traditional applique pattern, you'll want to make sure and reverse it, but many patterns now are designed for SAS2, so they're already reversed. Then you just lay it on their (doesn't matter which side is up) and trace.

Hmmm...Not to leave you hanging, but the server is unable to upload pics right now. So the lesson will continue in the morning, when hopefully it will be online again.
Don't worry! I'll be back!

No comments: