Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tired puppy

I'm finally back in action after the Big Sky Quilt Retreat last week. I had an excellent time and met lots of fun quilters and quilt shop owners. My humble little booth is pictured below (some people had huge, very fancy booths):
I bought a hat from the woman in the booth next to me, owner of the Big Yellow House in Absorokee. She works with women in Kyrgystan who hand felt all these wonderful things. I had to have the hat pictured below. One of my local quilters commented, "You have to have a lot of self-confidence to wear that hat" and I do...but more importantly I love it! I feel just like a little elf! It's felted wool, but fortunately lined so it doesn't make me itch (and it's merino, so it's pretty soft).

Most amusingly, however, the hat proves to be a very very frightening thing for my dog, Elli. I had it sitting on a table by my couch (which is more properly her couch) and she barked at it. Initially I assumed that she'd stepped on a pin or something, so I crawled all over the floor looking and feeling for a pin. Then, later on, once she'd crept back into the room, when I moved the hat, she fled in terror and when presented with it directly, she cowers with her tail between her legs, shivering in fear. Apparently it is a haunted (or maybe just smelly) hat.
I'll definitely be doing more shows--but I'll have to make more of an effort to sleep next time. I slept about four or five hours a night up there, and I'm definitely an eight hour kind of girl, so I'm still pretty pooped.
Happy quilting!

No comments: